Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Neighborhood Watch Puppy

We have an issue with our mail carrier. She leaves the front gate open. This to me does not seem like proper mail carrier etiquette. If someone's front gate is closed when you enter it, I think the common courtesy would be to close it again when you leave. Most of the time it is not a major issue since Don and I close it again every night when we get home from work before we let the dogs out.

But this last Saturday she got us. I let the dogs out the back door in the middle of the day and a few minutes later I hear Seumas barking. I go out in the back yard and I can still hear him barking but I don't see him. So I go around to the front yard and the darn gate is open. I can hear Seumas barking down the street. So I yell at Don, and bolt down the street in my fluffy winter socks (afterall it was only 65 degrees out). I come around the corner to find Seumas there in the middle of the road barking his head off. He has two cars completely stopped and he won't let them by. Luckily the drivers are both laughing their heads off instead of making tire tracks out of him. It was terribly dangerous and I'm definitely upset with our irresponsible mail person, but I still can't help but laugh at that hilarious site of Seumas taking on two full sized cars and claiming the entire block as our property on which he was not about to let them trespass. It looks like Seumas may have been neutered but he definitely has not lost his balls.

Cordy was a good girl and stayed in the yard where she barked safely behind the open gate.

6 comments:

Kristy said...

I too have to say this sounds like quite a hilarious sight (only after knowing that everyone is safe and sound...). I guess maybe you need to put a sign up for your mail carrier. I agree...it does not sound like proper mail carrier etiquette. I wonder what Emily Post has to say about that one?

Katie said...

There's no etiquette for that sort of thing in the post office. However, if you ask nicely, they'll probably accomodate you--perhaps he/she doesn't realize you have dogs. Or maybe they just didn't think about it, but when asked, they'll start closing the gate.

Addtionally, the post office is really anal about speed--closing the gate takes a couple of seconds (and street inspectors comment on stuff like that), and maybe he/she has been getting flack from their supervisor. Additionally, your carrier may have their hands full--I don't know if your route uses a cart, satchel or pack, but they may not have a hand without a lot of shuffling.

Of course it's also possible your mail carrier is a jerk. I presume you have a door slot or a box on the side of your house. If this continues to be a problem, you can either keep doing what you're doing, or you can put a box out on a fence post, elimating the need to open the gate (unless there's a package). But first, talk to the carrier in person--they're a lot more likely to remember if they speak to a person, and they can also pass it on to the T-6 (the carrier who has the route on your regular carrier's day off).

Can you tell I'm the child of a mail carrier? :p

carolyn said...

That is funny. See you Friday night and plan on rain. Amber will be here tomorrow night so she can help me make up your bed.

Lena said...

This story reminds me of my grandparents dogs, one of which was famous for not letting the butcher out of the truck until he got a treat and also chasing all cars until the property line, a good half-mile from the house.

And yes, you are right, the story is funny after the fact when everyone is safe. Not so funny while you are living the moment.

Don Early said...

Notice she says "I yelled at Don". Yep, can ya tell we're married? :)

CV said...

So Seamus was protecting the block while Cordy was protecting your house. What a team! Glad that they are safe though and that Seamus listened.

I made a doctor's appointment for Monday evening. :)