Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Inspirational Savings

When it comes to saving money and exercising a little fiscal discipline, Don and I tend to follow the pattern of a crash dieter. We will be really good for a few of weeks, and then go on a splurge and undo a lot of the work we did to get ahead. Cursed credit cards! Well, the saga continues in our personal goal for paying off the credit card debt we took on to finance our sudden move.

The truth is we are making a decent income. We have enough money to pay the bills with a decent chunk left to spend, save, or apply towards our debt as we see fit. Which sometimes makes it difficult to stay on track. It's hard to put off buying something you want when you CAN afford it but really should be spending your money on something else. Especially if it falls into the category of something you can convince yourself that you NEED or that it is an INVESTMENT. Like new bras, new hiking shoes, celebrating with friends you haven't seen in a long time at a fancy restaurant or a trip to wine country. O.K. None of those things constitute a NECESSITY, but you also have to live your life a little. I guess good fiscal management is like a healthy diet and lifestyle where you have to allow yourself a treat here and there without going overboard. And the more you can pinch pennies here or there on daily basis, the faster you are going to reach your goals.

So, as a tool for helping me to reach my goal of getting our credit cards paid off (once again - seems like every time you pay it off, something else comes up), I decided to start a journal this morning. We had some cute little message pad tablets in our office supplies that are the perfect size to carry around in your purse. I titled my new journal "My Little Booklet of Inspirational Savings,"and I'm going to carry it around with me during the day to write down all of the ways that I succeed in saving money on a daily basis. For me, this is a very good motivator. I am a person who loves to see my own progress in written form. When Don and I did our Premarital Counseling tests and scored really high, we both said that we understood that the test results were not the be all end all predictor of the quality of marriage that we were going to have, but we were still really excited to get a good grade!

I am hoping that the process of writing down my little successes will help me to be motivated to keep on track and will also bring more consciousness and thoughtfulness to how I spend money. If this turns out to work really well then maybe I will have to start one for my diet and exercise too!

So far I have written down the following, "today I saved money by ..."

1. Eating groceries on hand for lunch and breakfast instead of going out.
2. Lowered electricity bill by going around the house first thing this morning and turning off all the lights that Don left on when he went to work.
3. Bought the cheapest DVD player I could find at Target ($30!) to replace the broken one by my treadmill, instead of one with lots of cool options.
4. Picked up a large bag of cheap dog food while I was at Target, thus saving on overall cost and saving on gas by turning one errand into two.
5. Did not use the airconditioner in my car or my house today.
6. Did not go around accelerating or speeding and wasting gas on my commute.
7. Will eat leftovers for dinner before they go bad.
8. Planned two more dinners this week using grocery items we already have in the cupboards.

7 comments:

CV said...

Good for you! Maybe I will start the same thing and we can compare notes/ideas as we go along. It's always nice to have support when you're trying so hard to be good, especially when it comes to money.

Terri said...

Have you heard the phrase "What you think about you bring about"? The reason we have such a hard time paying of debt is because we are focusing on just that, debt! The more you think about debt, the more it comes to be.

Keeping track of ways you are saving money is an excellent step toward getting out of debt. This way you are focusing on "saving" not "debt". You go girl!

Don Early said...

Damn, you found those pads. Those were going to be a gift. Guess that shows me to wait too damned long before finishing what I started. Enjoy! Happy... uh, Birthdaymas?

Cindy said...

Thanks for the present, honey! I love it!

Terri, that's a really good point about bringing about what you focus on. I was thinking that in addition to writing down the money I was saving I would also write down instances where I spend money that I shouldn't, sort of like a pros and cons list. But instead, I think I will just keep focusing on the saving and let my thoughts continue to drift in that positive direction toward my goals instead of away from my goals.

CV said...

Our strategy has been "cut up the cards!" Now everything comes out of our bank account and if there is a true emergency I can use the one that is linked to my Dad's business account. Because we can check the balanace online everyday, we can see where our money is going and where we can cut back.

I think one of the worst things is being afraid of money. Checking my balance every day helps me curb that fear.

And on a side note, what a sweet hubby you have! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Reading this makes me think of a book I recently read, and now my husband is reading it. It's a financial book, but also it's inspirational. Sounds like you might enjoy it :-)
Financial Peace, Revisited, by Dave Ramsey!

So glad your blogging, fun to follow what's going on in your life! Your dogs are adorable.

Laura