Thursday, June 21, 2007

We Ate Tongue

I did have a dinner planned last night, but when I mentioned it to Don, he really wasn't excited about it. There was other stuff I could have prepared in its place but by that time we had lost our motivation to cook. And I was getting hungry. So we decided to drive down to Ventura Blvd and stop at the first place that looked good.

And the winner was a place called Japanese BBQ. We had no idea what was inside but it sounded interesting so we went for it. For those of you in Tacoma, it ended up being a place a lot like the Melting Pot - a fondue restaurant where you receive your dinner in different courses and cook it right in the fondue pot at your table. Well, here, instead of a fondue pot, they had a little gas grill right in the center of the table. So they brought out sliced vegetables and meats and you just throw them on the grill and cook them for a minute or two. And there are a variety of japanese sauces to dip them in when they are done cooking. Also, since it was a Japanese restaurant, they served Miso Soup and Edemame for an appetizer. The Miso Soup was the best Miso I have ever tasted by the way! For desert they gave us each a marshmellow to roast for a nice little smore treat. I'm not sure how that counts as Japanese.

But the most interesting course by far was the paper thin slices of tongue that Don ordered. To be honest, I forgot that we had even ordered the tongue and ate it thinking it was a regular slice of beef. It didn't taste as strange as I thought it would, just like really tender beef. I don't think I would eat it in larger quantities though. I think it is pretty funny that I actually ate real tongue last night when I wouldn't eat Shrimp for years because I thought they looked like little tongues.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

That's hilarious about your shrimp comment. You'll have to ask Mom about her tongue eating experience!

CV said...

I had that once and had one thought: "EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!"

Lena said...

I have to agree with Camille on this one: EWWW!

I love checking out your blog and get more sneak peaks of life in LA.