Friday, June 08, 2007

It has been a very lazy Friday. My boss has spent all day researching software options for our company and he it appears he is a news junkie. He keeps giving me hourly updates on Paris Hilton which I think is hilarious. She started her jail term... no, wait, she gets to go home ... house arrest... no wait, they are sending her back to jail... unconfirmed reports say she was dragged from the courthouse kicking and screaming. He says he wished they had given her the death penalty. Anyway, I have been left pretty much alone for the day to surf the internet and chat on Instant Messenger. This morning I called all of my bill companies and updated my new address.

Yesterday was a little chaotic. I had my first set of documents to do and the customer was coming in the afternoon to fill them out in person. Anway, since I haven't set anything up yet, it was pretty crazy digging through everything and finding everything I needed to complete them. So I spent the first half of the day doing documents and the second half of the day prepping checklists and doc examples etc so that the process would be much more streamlined next time. I can tell one thing, this place definitely needs me. My strengths definitely match up with my bosses weaknesses so I can have a lot of control in what happens here and over my own processes. Needless to say, the day went by a lot quicker with actual work to do!

Last night I had intentions of doing some errands but I thought I had better get home first and let the dogs out. Well, my evening got a little side tracked because Cordy stepped on a bee outside and hurt her poor little foot. It was very sad. She woudn't stand on it and she kept looking at it. She was definitely in a lot of pain but not yelping or anything so I was pretty sure she was o.k. I couldn't find the stinger. It was burried somewhere in her black fur. I also had no phone book, no internet access, and no local vet. I called Don who was still at work and he looked up a veterinarian in the neighborhood for me. The phone number didn't work so I ended up just driving there and explaining my situation - that I was new to the area and my dog stepped on a bee and I think she's all right but could they take a look at her or refer me someplace else. By that time she was already doing better and putting some of her weight back on her foot again. But they looked her over anyway and said things looked pretty positive - they couldn't find the stinger either. They said to monitor her and if she continued to improve as they expected her to then very good, but if it looked like she got worse as the night went on then they gave me a pamphlet for the Animal Emergency Clinic in the neighborhood. They were very nice and didn't charge me anything and we will definitely be taking the dogs back there in the future. And it is good to have the Emergency Clinic info for future reference.

I am still enjoying exploring the neighborhood where I work on my lunch breaks. So far this week I have eaten at an Arminian Deli, gone to the local pet supply store, gone grocery shopping, eaten at the Manhatten Bagelry, gone to Trader Joe's, gone to the Public Library, Eaten at a Hawaiian BBQ place, and today I got a haircut AND manicure on my lunch break and was back to work within an hour. They both were reasonably priced too. Granted the haircut is not the best haircut I have ever had but it will do for a quick easy fix. It is shorter now and feels a lot better in the warm weather.

Tonight is our first night out with Friends in California. We are getting together with Matt and Camille to do dinner and then see Pirates this evening. We are very much looking forward to it. Saturday and Sunday we hope to get a lot more work done on the house. It would be nice to be all moved in and settled so that we can start inviting people over and such. Just another hour and a half to go at work and then the weekend begins!

3 comments:

Kristy said...

I can't wait to hear about your Pirate experience!

carolyn said...

I forgot about your blog until Terri mentioned it last night so it was a lot of fun catching up on what you are doing. Reminds me of when Papa and I moved to CA.
Kristy forwarded your pictures too so I got to see them this morning.
Today is cleaning day so I better get back to it. Josephine retired so it is just me.
Oh, by the way, Carmelita (at Dr Hulls office) has 2 sons that live in Studio City and both lived in Sherman Oaks before that. She said they often go down just for a weekend and use Alaska Airlines and fly into Burbank instead of LAX. It is quicker (fewer delayed flights) and a lot closer driving to your place from the airport. Tickets are right around $200, but that does not include tax and fees.
Catch you later. Love you both.

Cindy said...

Hi Mom! Thanks for the tip on plane tickets. I hope you and Papa will be able to come and see our place sometime. So far, Don's sister and Kristy already have their trips scheduled to come out and see us. Very sad to hear Josephine retired!