Wednesday, June 06, 2007

So my job is very relaxed right now. Since we are new we are still in startup phase and business is slow. I have lots of side projects I can work on as I feel like it but I don't want to do it all in one day and then have nothing else to work on. I have been getting out of work a half hour early this week and my boss even told me today I can bring a book with me to work if I wanted to. It was impecible timing because I was just googling the neighborhood library to see if it was close enough to check out on my lunch breaks right before he mentioned that. Kind of funny. And yes, the neighborhood library is less than 2 miles away from my work so I will be able to go there and relax or check out books when I don't have other errands to do on my lunch break. It looks like I will be taking most lunches out of the office as we don't really have any type of employee break room. Probably I will bring some food to work and eat it at my desk during the day and then get out for errands on my lunch break.

Today I worked on building a couple of forms and going through our existing files to get them organized and get a feel for what we have done so far. It is a different operation than the bank I worked for in Tacoma but my experience is helping a lot. The documentation is much simpler. Even though we have no software system yet it still will probably take me half the time it took me before. Other than that I spent most of my day browsing the internet and chatting over instant messenger with my sister in Ohio. That's right, we have instant messenger at work! Now I don't feel so isolated. Right now it is just me and my boss and we are not really connected to the other company except for the fact that they are owned by the same individual. So I spend the majority of the day by myself and it is nice to have contact with someone.

I decided to pass the time while we are still slow I was going to go back and read some of my friends blogs from the beginning. I started with my friend Camille and it is so interesting reading her entries back from when she first moved to Cali and was going through all of the experiences Don and I are going through now. It seems so funny now that they have been here a couple of years and are so familiar with the area and life down here. They are our California experts and it is fun to read back when she was a "newbee" like me. It makes me excited to think about coming back and reading my early posts after we have been living here a few years.

On my lunch break today I decided to go check out a Meat shop in the neighborhood to see if they would be a good place to buy our meat from. I am afraid of the meat at Ralph's and Whole Foods is good but outrageously priced. Most good cuts of red meat here are around $17 bucks a pound or more! I really got spoiled with Tacoma Boys when I used to splurge on a nice NY Steak or Ribeye for $8 bucks a pound. Anyway, I was not impressed with the butcher this afternoon so I have decided that we are probably going to have to resort to Costco for our main meat supply. Usually they are pretty good and if I keep stocked up on the main stuff from them then I can always supplement it with a little variety whenever we make it out to the farmers market.

Anyway, I am getting off of work now and have a couple of errands to do on the way home. Ta Ta.

1 comment:

CV said...

Yes, we were totally noobs 2 years ago! :) I copied your idea and checked out some of the old entries...wow. It brought back so many memories!

How is your first week so far?

We're looking forward to tomorrow night!