Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Jogcast

So I've heard a couple people mention of late about how they use podcasts as a source of entertainment/inspiration to help them in their exercise. I decided to check this phenomenon out myself. After doing a little research on Itunes, I've selected a couple of programs that I can't wait to try - Podrunner and JogTunesIndie Podcast. Both are podcasts of a collection of songs organized by beats per minute for your running/high intensity workout. The first I believe is more of a collection of techno-inspired music while the other is lyrical songs by Indie artists. I subscribed to both and I can't wait to try them out on a walk/run.

I also discovered after doing a bit more searching that you can download entire yoga workouts also. One that I might be interested in trying is Elsie's Yoga class which features over 60 separate classes. Right now I'm still really excited about my Rodney Yee Yoga DVD for flexibility. But when I get bored and want to incorporate a little more variety I can't wait to try some of these out. And the best part about all of these podcasts...? They're FREE! Considering most Yoga classes/clubs in LA will run you upwards of $100 a month, I would say that's a pretty good deal.

Does anybody else have any good podcasts that you subscribe to that I should try?

4 comments:

CV said...

I don't know of any podcasts, but I have 2 other Rodney Yee DVD's you're welcome to borrow when you need some variety.

The Irishman said...

If you like Harry Potter stuff, the leaky cauldron website, http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/
has a series of great podcasts on everything Potter. Other than that, we download a great deal from NPR.org

Kevin

Elsie said...

So excited about you considering doing my podcasts! and you know what's sucky, I taught in LA for 6 yrs before recently moving to Pittsburgh this November! I would have loved to have had you in class :)
One of the top reasons that I began podcasting my classes was because of exactly what you are talking about how expensive yoga is. Honestly. I was lucky because I got to practice for free as I taught at a few studios in Los Angeles, but I'm not sure i would have been able to afford to actually buy even the cheapest of packages.
There are some classes in Los Angeles that are more cost effective try www.guerrillayogala.com, they are classes by donation only. Marc Holzman the Anusara Yoga teacher that started this, is an incredible teacher, and the community that he has build is magical.
You can see the location and classes at the website (location, teachers and classes change sometimes, hence the Guerrilla aspect)
Marc cultivated this idea started by Brian Kest in Santa Monica www.poweryoga.com. He's been doing the donation only thing in the west side for a long time.
I do hope that you try out my classes. and if not mine, my buddy Hillary has her own podcast also www.hillarysyogapractice.com and she teaches in Los Angeles at City Yoga www.cityyoga.com, so you can even meet the teacher! She's great!
When it comes to Podcasts...OMG! I'm a podcast fanatic! I subscribe to over 50! You can go to my site and look at the right hand side and see a gigantic list of the ones that I subscribe to. Too many to even get into www.elsiesyogakula.com
Hope to be of service to you in the future and blessings to you and your family

Parkylondon said...

Depends on your interests - there are literally thousands of podcasts to choose from. Check out www.podcastusermagazine.com (free mag about podcasting)[disclaimer, I am Editor of said enlightening read] for podcasts worth a listen / ideas; the iTunes music store (if you have an iPod, useless if you don't); and some of the directories (e.g. www.podcastalley.com, www.podcastpickle.com) of podcasts.

You could, of course, check out my podcast ThisWeekInLondon at www.thisweekinlondon.co.uk as it's brilliant but then I would say that wouldn't I?