Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Warming Up

After crawling out of bed from a short nap this evening and complaining once again about how cold our house was and how lame our heater was, Don decided to get the ladder out and give our heating vents a closer inspection. What he discovered has us feeling rather foolish. We have been freezing all winter long because there is a second grate inside the first grate in all of our vents which were closed all around the house! Well that explains why my gas bill was $260 last month and yet I still couldn't heat the house over 60. Dumb! Once he opened up all the vents, we were warmed up within about 15 minutes.

Additionally, we had some severe windstorms today and lost power for a few hours. Not only am I bored from being unemployed and being home by myself all day, but on top of that take away my power. I couldn't watch t.v., couldn't call anyone, had no computer or internet, couldn't do laundry and brrrrrrrrr no heat. So the dogs got to have a nice afternoon nap with Mommy in the big bed while she read her book and snuggled to keep warm.

With all of the distratctions out of the way, it did give me a little time for self reflection and got me motivated and thinking about some personal goals. Let's just say I have a new exercise and fitness plan to try out in the next couple of weeks. On top of structured exercise I want to try to incorporate more fun physical activities in my life like our hike to Paramount Ranch the other week. Tomorrow, weather permitting, Katy and I are going to try out the off leash dog park in our neighborhood. I hear it's supposed to be pretty nice and I'm looking forward to getting out of the house and getting some fresh air.

3 comments:

CV said...

Well anytime you want to go for a hike, let me know as I love working out outside, especially in the fall, winter, and spring. In the summer, it just has to be early in the morning to avoid overheating and sunburns.

Our heat kaputzed too, but not because of a vent. I'm not sure what happened but someone came to fix it and that's all I care about at this point! :)

Kristy said...

Hooray for heat!!!!! Glad you finally got that all figured out!

Laura Gifford said...

I have been "lurking" again -- I just can't resist, because it's so interesting reading about your California adventures after living there for several years ourselves! Anyway, I have hiking recommendations: Topanga State Park is great, with lots of directions to head and some verrry steep climbs if you're in the mood for that sort of thing. Malibu Creek State Park is really pretty, too. Will Rogers State Park is neat and rather historical, too, with his house on the property--and you can watch rich people playing polo, although I could never decide if that was interesting or just a disturbing display of excess... finally, we really liked Temescal Canyon, I believe it's called, in Pacific Palisades. Another steep one in places, but very pretty views. If I think of any more I'll pass the info along. We did quite a bit of hiking while we were living in SoCal. Have a good Tacoma trip!

Laura :)