Friday, September 14, 2007

Snip

I just made an appointment to get Seumas neutered next Friday. And I feel horrible! For one thing, I'm scared that something could happen to him and how horrible would it be if we lost him during an unnecessary surgery. I know these veterinarians do this all the time but still, surgery is surgery and there is always a risk. For another thing, I hate the idea of causing him pain and discomfort and it makes me feel like a bad mother. And finally, I'm also going to be kind of sad to see those little balls go. There's nothing more comical than looking across the room and seeing Seumas' bottom half sticking out of the blanket airing out his little doxie package. I know it sounds really stupid, but it's always been a part of him and his identity and it's hard to let go of. Deep down I know that this is what's best for him and that it will help him to be a more healthy balanced dog, and me to be a more responsible pet owner. But knowing I'm doing the right thing does jack all for feeling like I'm doing the right thing. Whoever would have thought that this would be so hard? I still remember the day I picked Cordy up from her surgery when she was still a 6 month old puppy. Her bandage from the IV looked so big on her little leg that it looked like she was wearing a tiny pink cast and her eyes looked like she'd been crying from the soothing ointment they put on her during surgery. Why does being a good mother have to involve doing things that cause physical pain to your babies?

No comments: