Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Rain!

We have been having the loveliest weather. Nice cool temperatures in the 70s or so. It has been cool enough to walk the dogs straight away when I get home from work instead of having to wait until after dinner when it has cooled off. The days are starting to get shorter too. I had to set my timed lamp in the living room back one half hour because it was getting dark before the lamp turned on. With September more than half over, I think it's safe to say that we are transitioning into Fall.

I'm excited to see what the changes in seasons will bring. I have no idea what to expect as it seems that I am living in a whole new world. I imagine a fall and winter of mild to warm temperatures where the trees never lose their leaves and the sun stays out until 8:00 o'clock at night. Obviously that vision is not based in reality. But I have never experienced Autumn in the desert and I'm really interested to see how different it is from the rest of the year. Last night I turned the Auto-AC off and opened the windows and doors. It was nice to let the fresh breeze in until Don and I woke up at 1:00 in the morning to the sound of helicopters in our bedroom. Maybe we won't be sleeping with the windows open anymore. But I am excited to start saving a bit on electricity. It is so backwards to everything I know to have the expensive electric bills in the summer and the light ones in the winter. Don and I still look at our gas fireplace in the living room and laugh thinking "when are we ever going to need that?" Which is why we ran our speaker wires through the fireplace. Wonder if we will be regretting that anytime soon?

This morning I decided to take a peak at the forecast - something I never do anymore because it doesn't make much difference in one's day whether it is 70, 80, or 90 degrees. So I was quite surprised to look at the forecast and see that not only are we going to be having highs in the 60s for a couple of days this week but we are also supposed to get rain! Correction... showers! And possibly thundershowers. There have been a couple of mornings here where I have waken up to a little bit of mist in the air and slightly damp ground. But this will be the first actual rain I have experienced in over 17 weeks! That goes without saying that that is the longest I have ever gone without rain in my entire life. But I'm actually excited about it. I'm deadly curious to see what happens to Californians when you get them a bit soggy:)

2 comments:

CV said...

We Californians drive even worse, if that's possible, and avoid the freeways. The roads are terribly slick, so it's good to be extra cautious.

I love the winters here! Not only is it sunny everyday, but seeing Christmas lights on palm trees always makes me laugh because it seems so...odd!

carolyn said...

I just remember the heavy rains down there where the water is about a foot deep as it comes down but completely gone into the drains as soon as it stops. We had our first rain here Friday for several weeks and lots of wreck because even Oregonians forget how to drive after a few weeks of sunshine.