Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Post Labor Day

Well, we got Kristy safely on the plane yesterday and here we are back to regular life and the working world again. Don got back to the working world much sooner than I did at the 5:30 hour where as I'm still an 8 to 5 gal. Actually, it's more like 8:00 to 4:00 most of the time.

I had a chance to balance the checkbook this morning and found out we did not go too far overboard this weekend. Still wish we hadn't spent the 80 dollars on the mediocre (if not bad) sushi but you live and learn, hey? Don and I recently joined our friends here in a "No New Doodads" Campaign. Doodads are those items that you spend money on which fall into the non-necessity category. All of our core group here in California are trying to save money for one reason or another. For Don and I, we have decided to join the "No New Doodads" kick until we pay off our credit cards (which financed our move to California). Practicing a little fiscal discipline is never an easy thing but it does help when you can join together with the support of your friends. When you are all in the same boat, it helps a lot because you don't have to be the one couple that stays home when everyone else goes out to a nice dinner or expensive events. This way, you can all plan fun inexpensive things to do together where you have just as good a time but don't spend lots of money. Since we started a couple of weeks ago we have already paid our Credit Card debt down by over a $1000 dollars. At this rate, we would love to have the whole thing paid off by Christmas time. It is something to shoot for at least.

I'm still basking in the highlight of the weekend - our trip to Santa Monica - and itching to go back and check out some of the other beach scenes now that I've had a taste. Next time I go back I think it would be fun to do with a group of people. Also, it would be nice to pack a picnic lunch and bringing an ice chest full of cold beverages is a definite must. With public parking only $8.00 for a full day, it can be a really reasonable way to spend a day especially in the heat of summer. Speaking of the heat of summer, our heat wave is finally coming to an end. Today it dropped ten degrees to 100 and tomorrow it is supposed to drop another ten back down the the 90 again. I can hardly wait! My house has definitely started to suffer as the heat zaps your energy to do anything. Plus, with the heat emergency, our lovely governor Arnold begged us all to conserve energy and not to use heavy household appliances such as washers and dryers unless absolutely necessary. Good enough for me! I wish politicians would ask me not to do my laundry more often! It was my patriotic duty to let it pile up like it has!

No comments: