Monday, April 28, 2008

Memoirs of a Geisha

I finally finished the book yesterday afternoon. And wow, the payoff was good, though not what I was expecting. A very good story from start to finish which swept me off my feet. Feeling somewhat saddened that the story was over, I immediately went to the video store to rent the movie. Don watched it with me. It was a good movie, though not nearly as powerful as the book, and a little less satisfying. Don really enjoyed it since he was able to watch it as a stand alone movie, as opposed to myself who was comparing it to the story in the book. He particularly appreciated all of the symbolism they were able to portray cinematically such as water imagery, etc, which I confess I missed much of focusing on other things. In my case, much of the movie felt a bit rushed and a little more shallow than the depth of layers and emotions the book was able to bring out. Still, it was interesting to see what kinds of adjustments and changes they made from book to movie to convey the same story. In the end, I recommend both but the book is much better.

So after finishing such a satisfying book, I'm now on the hunt for the next interesting read. Perhaps a new book club is in my not to distant future.

3 comments:

CV said...

I guess I need to re-read the book! It's been awhile and your review makes me want to read it again. I watched the movie on Saturday and was disappointed, though I agree that the imagery and costumes were fantastic.

I'm reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, which is a true story. With your background in finance, I think you'd find it really interesting.

I also think you might like "The Other Boleyn Girl". If you want to borrow my copy, just let me know.

Brie said...

Isn't that book just incredible? I feel the same way that you did about the movie, but I still really liked it. It was just difficult to separate it from the book.

Have you read the Kite Runner? Also a movie now, though I haven't seen it yet. But I've read the book and it's a really powerful and honest story. I really recommend it.

Kristy said...

So, would you recommend seeing the movie BEFORE reading the book, then? I usually think it's better to read a book version first, but maybe that's not always the case.