Monday, July 23, 2007

Weekend Highlights

Friday Night - we did nothing. Nothing includes not making dinner. (We had leftover lasagna from the night before.) Not doing the dishes (sitting in the sink from the night before). Not exercising. And not walking the dogs. It was awesome!

Saturday - a little bit more interesting. During the day we managed to get a few things done. I actually got my desk cleaned off in our home office - gasp! For those of you who know me well, especially Emily if you are reading this, you know how much I hate to clean off my desk and how incredibly messy it can get. This is a major accomplishment for me. I have to thank Netflix on-demand for helping me to get my desk cleaned off. I had an afternoon of watching documentaries on my computer to keep me interested while I got my work done - interesting but not too interesting that I could tune in and out of while getting my work done. I watched "Maxed Out" a documentary about America's problem with individual and national debt. And I started this very wierd documentary called "Hell's House." Similar to a haunted house, this is a controversial "multimedia fire-and-brimstone performance designed to give its audiences a glimpse of what awaits those who stray from the path of a strict Christian life, put on by the youth members of a church outside Dallas." Yes, that's right I said youth members. Gross and disturbing. And I totally watched it. Aren't you ashamed of me?

I also started working with Seumas and Cordy on their leash training some more. I spent a good half hour with each of them and Cordy was a very quick study. After two half hour lessons she has it completely down. I am so proud of her! Seumas on the other hand is a different story. He understands how it works, but doesn't want to submit to my command. I hate to say that he's starting to lose some of that sweet-natured puppy personality and becoming more agressive. He has started barking at other dogs on our walks and on Saturday he even barked at a baby in a stroller. BAD DOG! This means I'm going to have to work with him a lot, and also it means he probably is going to have to finally get the snip-snip that he's been lucky enough to avoid for the first two years of his life.

Of course the funnest part of our Saturday is when Matt and Camille came over and joined us first for a gourmet dinner at Fatburger (yummy) and then for the highly anticipated movie Harry Potter V! An evening well spent. As Don and I are lazy bastards and have not read the books, we only have the movie to go on and we quite enjoyed this one. My favorite is still the 3rd movie but I haven't had a complaint about any of them that I've watched so far. What delightful stories and how fun it is to watch the children grow up on screen.

Sunday was another great day. Don and I made it a date day for the two of us. We went to church in the morning and afterwards we tried out one of the spas in our neighborhood and each got a full body massages. This was supposed to be a surprise that I had planned for Don earlier in the week, but the company called our house on Saturday to confirm the appointment and Don answered the phone. Oh well, surprise foiled but still very enjoyable experience. After our massages, we headed down the boulevard and picked the first establishment that looked good for an afternoon lunch. We ended up choosing a place called the Amazon Bar and Grill. As you can guess, the restaurant had a Caribbean style cuisine theme. Inside, the bar was completely covered with fake foliage, flowers, trees, plants, and a gigantic waterfall/wishing well in the middle of the room. Don and I both ordered shrimp dishes and I drank two tall glasses of pineapple juice because my massage therapist told me that it helps prevent the buildup of lactic acid which causes the soreness after a massage. And I think it may have worked because I am not that sore today. After that we browsed a couple of shops close by and then headed back the house where we both took big fat afternoon naps. So romantic! When it cooled down a bit in the evening, I got my training lessons in with the dogs and while Don took care of some laundry, and then we finished off the weekend with a couple more episodes of our current program that we are really into - Rome. Fascinating series!

So it was quite a lovely weekend. And here we are back to Monday. Have a good week!

2 comments:

CV said...

I am done with books 1-6 and on to book 7. Matt and I are reading it at the same time. Let me just say this. Book 6 is quite emotional and it looks like Book 7 will be too.

Kristy said...

Wow, another great long post! I'm not sure whether to laugh or to cry about the "Hell's House" documentary. Sounds like Jerry Springer does Religion. My own, "what are you watching??!" experience is watching episodes of Days of Our Lives before I go to bed. For anyone who doesn't believe in reincarnation--all you need to do is turn on the soaps!

Great job on your training and work with seumas and cordy. I'm enjoying reading about your progress. You are exactly right in getting seumas to exercise BEFORE his training session. Keep up the good work!

Can you believe I haven't seen or read ANY of the Harry Potter movies/books? Can I still call myself an American? More appropritely, can I still call myself a librarian? I will have to be sure to start with the beginning so I can "watch the kids grow up" as you mentioned in your post.

Oh...and the romantic day events sound wonderful. Even the nap. That would fit in snuggly with Kirstie's definition of romantic! LOL. I'm only partly kidding--she can be very romantic and surprise me at times. =o)