Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Entertaining

Of the many fun things that we are enjoying about our new life in California, I am finding that one of the things I love the most is entertaining. I love having people over and feeding them. Maybe it is because I love food so much - good food - and enjoy sharing my love of good food with other people. So many people don't take the time to cook or try new things and I like to introduce them to my favorite recipes or things that sound interesting and different. Maybe it is because we have such wonderful friends who are so appreciative when I cook for them, who even do the dishes for me when they are done. The compliments make me feel really good about my cooking talents, but also, it is the genuine expressions of people enjoying food- it is nice to have played a part in creating that joyful experience. Maybe it is because of all of our talented friends who do so many artistic things - filmaking, acting, singing/songwriting, photography - that cooking is my one artistic creative talent that I am good at and enjoy and find passion in. Maybe, also, it is because for the first time in a long time Don and I have a home of our own that we are not sharing with other people. We actually have space to entertain and we don't have to worry about invading other people's space. And we love our home and we love sharing it. Maybe also it is because everyone is so spread out and social outings take an effort to drive across town, sit in traffic, guzzle gas, that I want to make their journey out to see us worth the effort and looking forward to coming back again. Truth be told, Don and I have had the opportunity to entertain a lot lately at our place and have not had the chance to get out ourselves and make the trek to see other people as much as we should have. I promise we will. But in the meantime, thanks to all who have graced our home and allowed us to host and share a bit of our new life with you and what brings us happiness. Thanks for letting us entertain!

No comments: