Monday, July 02, 2007

Week of Fun

Don and I have quite the stretch of fun going on.

Saturday we had an amazing Dinner with Matt and Camille, and Camille's dad, Richard, and sister, Katie. We went to this amazing little Italian Restaurant down the street. They were PACKED! It's a good thing we had reservations, I got the feeling that some of the folks had been on the wait list for more than a scant yawn. They sat us in an octagonal table right in the center of the room. It was like everyone was eating centered around our table... pretty funny especially given how many people they had managed to fit in that crowded little one room restaurant. I was actually sitting at another couples' table, with my back turned to them of course. I was glad I didn't have long hair or it would have been dangling right in their dinner plates. Anyway, once we began to order and receive our food I figured out just why it was so crowded. Their food was delicious!!! They served Bruschetta as an Appetizer and Katie accidentally ordered some fried calamari. I say, "accidentally" because she meant to order some steamed oysters but her eyes slipped down the page and since everything was in Italian she didn't realize that she had ordered the calamari until it came. No harm, no foul, the calamari was very good too. Richard also got us going with a couple of nice bottles of smooth Italian Chianti. Not the cheap kind either. It was very nice. After scouring the impressive menu for about 15 minutes and sending the waitress away a few times because we couldn't decide on just one thing to order, Camille and I finally decided to split two dishes because we wanted to try the pizza and the pasta. So Camille ordered a pizza with ham, fresh mozarrella, marinated mushrooms, black olives and artichokes, while I ordered the homemade spinach ravioli in saffron sage sauce. OH... MY... GOD! The pizza was good but the ravioli was one of the best pasta dishes I have ever eaten. Don orded a cioppino soup with a pretty impressive presentation - and for garnish - an entire lobster in a halfshell sitting right on top of the tomato base. Can I say, "Wow"? As if we hadn't indulged enough, we finished off with a round of desserts which we all tasted and enjoyed, crem brulee which you needed an ice pick to crack (mmmmmm), Spimoni Ice Cream, Peach sorbet plated on an actual halved peach slightly frozen, and, of course, tiramisu. It was quite the lovely evening. Once we returned to our place we visited and played with the dogs until we were all comatose from our full bellies when poor Matt had to wake himself up and drive everyone home. Cordy and Seumas of course were delightful entertainment as they tend to be for their guests and Don and I are taking bets on how long it will take for Richard to get a wiener dog. So that twas Saturday.

Sunday, we did the church thing in the morning and a trip to Borders. And then Ben flew into town in the evening. Don and Rian picked him up from the airport and then he came over and we watched the newest version of the DemonHunters Orientation Video and visited for a bit. The DHOV is looking great by the way. Some really exciting performances, great camera work, and really cool editing are turning this thing into something far better than I think was originally expected. I can't wait to see it released.

Ben will be back over again this evening. Then tomorrow night we have a get together in Studio City - Rian is moving back to Portland for a few months so people are getting together to hang out with him before he leaves. Wednesday, Don and I both have the day off of work. So far no set plans for the fourth of July but I'm sure it will involve barbecuing something. Thursday night is day one of our new D&D campaign with Matt and Camille. And then it's Friday already. Of course, this is the week where I have Wed-Friday off so it is shaping up to be a pretty nice week.

4 comments:

CV said...

We had such a great time with you guys! We even talked about the food last night over delicious delievered pizza. Dad and Katie also had fun with you. I hope we can do it again next time they're in town.

I got my dice yesterday! So excited to play! :)

Kristy said...

I have to say, when you were describing your spinach ravioli, you sounded just like Kirstie! =o)

The movie you mentioned also sounds like something I need to check out. I don't recall hearing about it, but I will have to look it up. I finished watching Superman Returns tonight. My sole interest in watching it was to see Kevin Spacey as Lex Luther. Superman sure has a lot of different powers--much more than the average superhero it seems!

Cindy said...

Let me know what you think when you see the movie. Don and I remember seeing previews but then it was in and out of the theater so fast we didn't have a chance to go and see it so we had to wait for it to come out on DVD. It has Samuel L. Jackson and Christina Ricci in it. And, kinda funny, it also has Justin Timberlake too.

Your comment about Superman having so many powers made me laugh pretty hard. Yeah, that's pretty much the case. Is there anything the guy can't do?

Cindy said...

Camille, we would love to spend time with your dad and sister next time they are in town. I'm glad they had as much fun as we did.

So what kind of dice did you get???? Only two more days until our first session!