Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Dear Mom,

Children so often get the benefit of praise from their parents, but it's not often the other way around. Of course, when you are little, parents are all-knowing people who don't need feedback because they're just doing what every parent would automatically do. As you grow older though, you come to understand how hard parenting really is and that, unfortunately, not all children are as blessed to have parents as wonderful as I do.

Well, Mom, I don't think a parent could have done better by a child. When I look at my life and how happy I am, all of the things I am most thankful for come from you ...

... a happy marriage... Seeing from your's and Papa's marriage, how two people can be so committed to each other, love and value each other so much, stick together through tough times, treat each other with respect and honesty. I'm so thankful that I get to spend the rest of my life with my best friend at my side and to know that this is the most important thing in life.

... security ... I know what it means to come home to a house everyday where I am loved and well cared for. It is a good feeling to know that whatever happens in life, even in the worst of circumstances, I'll never be homeless, destitute, or alone because I will always have friends and family who will support me and see me through to better times.

... compassion ... I'm grateful for inheriting your sense of empathy and compassion for others who are struggling and have not yet found their way in life. Because of you I am able to see the best in people rather than focusing on the worst.

... success ... For all of your confidence in me, for everything that you invested in my opportunities and education, for raising me with the belief that I could achieve anything I set out to do.

... health and wellness ... For teaching us about nutrition, feeding us balanced meals, learning about hunting and growing our own gardens, and supporting healthy activities like basketball and volleyball.

I really couldn't ask for more than that. I love you and thank you for making me the person I am.

Oh, and just one more thing. Thanks for passing on your great genes in the looks department!

Happy Mothers Day.

3 comments:

carolyn said...

What a wonderful tribute. I feel wonderfully blessed that you (and your sisters) paid attention to the good stuff (and hopefully overlooked any bad) and have your own great lives going. Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks.

I love you too.

Mary said...

What a beautiful post. Made me really think about my mother and the wonderful influence she has had on my life. I think that the biggest compliment I can ever receive is that I remind people of my mother. I'd love to be more like her. Great seeing you today-stop by Venice anytime-it gets less freaky each time you visit it. Just let me know so I can open up parking space for you. Okay, see you next weekend for bike ride to Palisades?

Brie said...

Such an amazingly sweet sentiment. I almost want to copy and paste it into a letter to MY mom!