Thursday, August 06, 2009

Traveling

I have a little bit of extra time this morning. Don has a late morning flight out of Burbank so I'll head in a little late to work and drop him off on the way. Lucky bastard gets to go to a Gaming Convention in Boise, see his family, and skip work. You could call me a wee bit jealous. All of my vacation for the year is tied up in our upcoming trip to Germany in September, which I don't think I have blogged about yet. That's right, Don and I are headed to Germany for 10 whole days of luxurious travel. I can't wait to have that feeling like we did on our honeymoon. There is nothing like crossing an ocean to make one feel free and far away from any kind of real life obligations. Now that's a vacation!

As if Germany itself were not exciting enough, we also get to meet up with some of Don's family which we haven't seen in about 5 years. Jim and Sharon (Don's Father & Mother-in-Law) are flying out from North Carolina and we'll be staying with Chuck & Heike (Uncle & Aunt) and their kids who live there.

I'm also hoping we'll get to see another distant relative - Ripsy, the first wiener dog I ever fell in love with and Cordy's brother from another litter. At the last family reunion we were able to attend in North Carolina, Chuck & Heike & their boys fell in love with Ripsy so Jim & Sharon let them take him back to Germany - the Doxie Motherland. Six months later when we shared with Jim & Sharon that we were looking for a black & tan wiener dog, they shipped Cordy out to us on a plane from North Carolina. She is without a doubt, the best gift we have ever received.

When I first realized we were going to Germany, I thought I would run out and take a crash course from the library or something on German 101. Well, I've given up on that idea as time is dwindling. My only goal now is to lose a couple of pounds since I'm sure there will be copious amounts of photo taking, plus I plan to consume about a billion calories of German food and beer while we are there. We started a new weight loss weigh in group at work again. First week was pretty much a wash. But everyone needs a good warm up. We'll see if I can lose a pound before the next weigh in.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm such a huge Rick Steves dork, but his advice was spot on for Ireland. www. ricksteves.com Plus, he's a local Edmonds guy, a Lutheran, and a PBS supporter. I strongly recommend his website, books, and look for his DVD's at the library (or you could purchase them). He's into local experiences, getting to know real people (not just those who cater to tourists) and having a great time without spending a ton of cash. Can't wait to hear all aboutit.