Monday, August 17, 2009

Time is the Currency of Life

I just had the wonderful most amazing, refreshing, soul nourishing weekend with one of my closest friends, Kristi Kunkel. Kristi was my housemate from seminary and it is a shame, really a shame that we had not seen each other for over five years since my wedding. She was of course my maid of honor. When everyone else was off having a last shabang batchelor party with Don on the town, the night before my wedding, Kristi and I had a quiet slumber party, just the two of us in the hotel where my wedding reception was. It was our last chance to be roomates before I became the new Mrs. Early and I wouldn't have wanted to spend it any other way.

From the moment her plane landed, we filled every single moment with experiences and companionship. With two full days and two half days, I did more in 72 hours than I normally do in a year! It was fun going around LA with a tourists eyes and seeing different sights. We made it our goal to have as many "California" experiences as possible while she was here so in addition to doing things like going to Griffith Park Observatory, viewing the Hollywood sign, and walking the Hollywood walk of fame, we also made a point to include things like cheap pedicures, illegal U-turns, barbecues, and walking outside barefoot at 8 AM. It was a great exercise of living in the moment and we made a point to get something out of every moment. For example the last night she was here, I laid out in the living room with her and we talked until we both fell asleep. I had no intention of sleeping in the living room. I knew at some point I would go back to my own bed, but not until after I had initially dozed off. We just didn't want to miss out on a single moment of consciousness.

I really do believe that Time is the Currency of Life. It's the most valuable thing and I feel like we really got the fullness of the gift of the time we had together. We slept a little, talked a lot, laughed a lot, saw a ton, worshipped fully, listened and enjoyed. We're definitely committed to not letting another five years go by before we see each other again. So though our goodbyes were tempered with sadness, anxiety, and holding back watery eyes, we were blessed to not have any regrets and to have future trips to look forward to.

No comments: