Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Big News

It's funny how you can post one thing in the morning and then something big happens later that day and you go back and read your last post and think, wow, I can't believe that was my frame of mind only a few hours ago. So much has changed since then!

Anyway, for those of you who haven't heard the news yet, I was laid off from my job on Friday afternoon. No notice, just handed me a check for wages-to-date and said Merry Christmas. The owner of the company went over my boss' head to let me go. We were doing pretty well on the finance side of things but unfortunately the second company was dragging both companies down. Luckily, I was aware enough to notice the signs so it wasn't a complete surprise and had already started keeping an eye out for other opportunities.

Honestly, the working environment was becoming more and more unpleasant anyway so Don and I are both feeling pretty positive about this opportunity/nudge to get out there and look for something better. And it could not have come at a better time financially. Luckily, I did our Christmas shopping early so that was mostly taken care of and had just paid our rent and all of our bills for the month. We were getting set up for a nice month to pay off some debt, but easy come easy go I guess. Still, there have been enough positive signs in this to keep us feeling like God is watching out for us and we are on the right path. Sunday was the first week of Advent, which is the first week of the new Church year. It just really felt like we were in the right place and right time to be beginning a new path for something as big as starting a new job.

I have already had one interview with a friend of my boss. He has more interviews to complete but if he offers me the position, it would be similar work with the same salary range. It's more than he wanted to spend but I put my foot down. He is a small company too and no guarantees like my last job. There are some positions I would be willing to take a pay cut for (within reason) but mostly they involve a greater amount of stability and opportunities for upward mobility. Speaking of such jobs, there is an opening for a commercial loan administrator (similar to what I do) that is less than two miles from my house for a major bank that I really have my fingers crossed for. They just posted the position last week and banks can take a while to get through their interview processes so I am kind of spinning my wheels this week hoping to hear back from them before I start really getting out there and doing the mass resume thing.

Although we are feeling overwhelmingly positive about the situation all things considered, there are still the obvious anxieties, insecurities, and depression that come with being unemployed to battle. So far I'm doing pretty well but would certainly welcome any and all prayers for a quick resolution. In the meantime, in between job searching on the internet and making calls, I am having fun being a stay at home mom for the pups and playing housewife. Don has already offered for me to come to his office and help him with his filing but he says he will have to pay me in other ways than cash. I'd be happy with dish duty for a week or scrubbing the kitchen floor, but I have the feeling he was thinking other things. . .

5 comments:

CV said...

I know how daunting it can be to not have a job, but you are a fabulous employee and something will turn up soon I'm sure.

Thinking of you and sending positive thoughts your way. Keep me posted.

And yes to Christmas cookies! :)

Kristy said...

Christmas cookies? What's this I hear about Christmas cookies??? =o)

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! Sending positive thoughts your way also! I don't think you will have a hard time finding something else- but still- never nice to be shoved into liminality with little or no warning.

I'm around- the nice part of the pastor gig- I sometimes have time to talk when others don't. Call me anytime.

Peace-
Kristi

Lena said...

Sending you positive thoughts and good luck wishes for the new job hunt.

I will immediately post some Princess Christmas cookie recipes for you!

Brie said...

Oh my gosh! And at Christmas? How lame of them. It sounds like you are much much better off. Good for you for being so positive. I've been in a similar situation before: 3 weeks before our wedding I was let go from my job. But really I didn't like it, and it opened up for other opportunities - it really worked out best in the long run.
Sending prayers your way.
=)