Friday, August 03, 2007

What day is it???

Last night husband arrives home around 5:30. Walks in through the front door emanating vicious aura. Goes straight to bed and collapses face first on pillowtop.

Wife tiptoes into bedroom, "Babe are you o.k.?"

Husband turns head, peels open one eyelid, gets out "horrible headache."

"Did you take anything?"

Shakes head 'no'.

Wife goes to medicine cabinet. Brings back Advil. Gets husband to sit up long enough to administer three little candy-coated promises of relief. Husband falls back into bed and straight into deep REM coma.

Wife walks past bedroom doorway a few times. Deep sleep, slow heavy breaths, no movement. Wife decides to entertain herself by watching movie and eating Dorritos. Dogs cuddle. Evening twilight sets in. 7:30 p.m. timed evening lamp turns on.

Floor creaks. Dogs' ears perk up. Husband appears in Living Room hallway squinty-eyed and barely conscious. A look of utter confusion, eyebrows perplexed in the shape of a question mark, husband performs the mighty act of willing vocal cords to ask in groggy voice, "Do you have the day off?"

Wife stops crunching mid-dorito, looks up at husband with own question mark on her face, "Honey, do you think today is Friday? It's still Thursday night. You just woke up from a nap and I haven't been to bed yet."

Husband tries hard to process information through foggy brain. Looks like wife just told him the year is 2022 and we are Republicans now. After long careful thought process responds, "Are you serious? I was sure it was Friday morning and starting to panic because I was late for work."

"Yes, honey, I'm sure."

Shoulders relax a bit. Looks relieved but still barely conscious.

"I'm sure this is all very disorienting from where your standing. But from where I'm standing this whole thing is really quite adorable, you understand?"

Husband releases a slow squinty eyed grin.

Every once in a while it's fun to see your partner in a new light, and be reminded why you love them.

***

The other day I turned the calendar. I can't believe it's already August. As of tomorrow, Don and I will have been at our new jobs for two full months now. So far we are finding that we are quite happy with our new lives in California. The "honeymoon" phase has not yet warn off as we continue to enjoy our new home, our new opportunities both professionally and recreationally, and the new and renewed friendships we have made here. I have become very comfortable with the pace of our lives here. Time and space feels different here to me. I find myself living much more in the moment day to day. Weeks go by faster than weekends. Evenings feel longer than days. Sleep feels plentiful. As we have sought to achieve better balance for our dogs by walking them every day, I think we are achieving more balance for ourselves too. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with living on our own and feeling more in control of our lives - physically and financially. But I also can't help but thinking that this state - California - is having more of a positive impact on me than I ever expected it. If you ever would have told me that I was going to love California, I never would have believed you. Maybe I'm the opposite of what happens when you take a person who struggles with depression and puts them in a rainy cloudy environment and they become even more depressed. What happens when you take a happy person and put them in a sunny environment, do they get even more happy? I could get used to this.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

That's a very cute story--and I like the writing style you used to illustrate it. I have a clear picture in my head of the entire exchange.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new home and your new venture. I can't wait to visit--just a few more weeks!!

Terri said...

I can so relate to the bewilderment and initial panic of waking from a migraine nap. Stare at the clock through foggy eyes, straining to focus--It's what time? What day is it? Is that am or pm? And the major relief when you realize you still have twelve more hours to sleep!

Fortunately, I have yet to actually get up and start getting ready for work because I think it's morning, but that's probably due to the fact that I look over and see my husband is not in bed with me, which means he's at work--swing shift, ah ha, it's not morning yet! (Of course, that's usually after a mild panic of "why didn't Matt come home last night!).

As for the story, I literally laughed out loud at the "and we're republicans" remark!

CV said...

Haha! What a fantastic story, and I agree with Kristy, the writing style is perfect and I can envision it too. Same thing happens with Matt after he conks out with a migraine. It's very entertaining and sometimes a little concerning.

I got soaked. :) Will blog about it tonight or tomorrow.